Dental Implants in Harrisburg, PA
After tooth loss, due to extractions, accidents, or disease, dental implants can replace your natural teeth with an artificial tooth root in your jaw topped by a crown. Your dentist can install a natural-looking implant to improve your appearance, whether you are missing one tooth or a mouthful.
Dental implants are modern dentistry's best way to replace missing natural teeth. Since they are rooted in your jaw like your original teeth, they look more like them than dentures, partial plates, or other replacements do. The entire assembly of a metal root and a crown prevent other teeth from shifting out of place.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Implants offer numerous advantages in comparison to fixed bridges or removable dentures supported by other teeth or gum tissue:
- They Look Better: Implants appear more realistic and natural-looking than other alternatives since implants are placed in the gum like natural teeth.
- They Lead To Less Bone Loss: Implants stabilize the gum by preventing a hollow space in your mouth that can weaken the bone structure of surrounding teeth.
- They Are More Secure: Implants are fixed in the mouth, unlike removable dentures that can be hard to keep in place. Even if you need to have several teeth replaced, a series of strategically placed dental implants can stabilize dentures without the need of screws.
- They Preserve Natural Tooth Structure: They do not compromise other teeth, unlike a bridge, which is attached to the adjacent teeth. The effect of this is to interrupt the existing tooth structure.
- They Are Long Lasting: Implants can last 20 years, according to studies, in contrast to dentures that may need replacement every 5 to 7 years.
If you are missing just one or two teeth, a bridge is often the best way to fill the gap. Bridges stay in place by connecting with other teeth in your mouth, which are cut down or removed to accommodate the bridge, possibly damaging those teeth. An implant is an independent unit that does not negatively impact nearby teeth.
When you have several missing teeth that are best replaced by a denture, your Advara Dental and Dentures professional might suggest mini-implants that attach the dentures to your mouth. For a free consultation on the range of options for replacing missing teeth, call us to schedule your appointment.